Friday, June 27, 2008

Steak and Pie

Answers to quiz

1. "I feel bad" or "I feel badly"
To say "I feel badly about your accident" is to say something is wrong with your ability to feel. "Bad" modifies "I," not "feel" in this case, making it an adjective rather than an adverb.

2. "Eat a healthy diet" or "Eat a healthful diet"
Eating a healthful diet makes one healthy. Eating a healthy diet means your steak is still walking around wearing its skin and horns. If "healthful" is too archaic for your tastes, use "nutritious."

3. "I can't help but notice" or "I can't help noticing"
"But" adds nothing except a double negative. "I can't help noticing" is correct.

4. "In behalf" or "On behalf"
This one depends on the context.
"In behalf" means "for the benefit of." Example: We raised $2,000 in behalf of crippled children.
"On behalf" means "in place of." Example: On behalf of pie lovers everywhere, thank you, Sara Lee.

No comments: