Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Listen

My sister, the novelist, sent this:

"For as long as I can remember, I've had fictitious people with their assorted lives banging around in my head like unsettled souls demanding that their truths be told. The only way I know to give them rest is to write their stories; they seem satisfied and leave after that."

I guess if you want your characters to be real you'd better pay attention to their demands. One of my art professors used to speak of creating as a dialogue between the artist and his work, and he constantly urged us to listen to what the piece was saying. When my wife writes, she doesn't know what the characters will say and do next, but she can't wait to find out. We have all heard of writers and artists and composers who say the work takes over at some point and they just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Movie line: "The music is all around you. All you have to do is listen."
Who said it and in what film?

New question: How is writing like music and art? And how is writing unique?

1 comment:

E said...

movie line:
August Rush, in August Rush

new question:
I think the audience's role in writing vs. music/art most obviously separates the mediums.

my dad once called reading the "act of re-creating", implying a tacitly shared creative endeavor between author and audience. meanwhile, with music and art the sensory gratification for a listener/viewer is immediate and effortless. the opportunity for collaboration certainly exists, but a dialogue between creator and recipient can occur without it.

writing will require some sort of an investment from its audience; music and art don't have to.