Thursday, May 8, 2008

Quote Quiz Clues

Our managing editor, Duke Conover, got six out of seven from yesterday's quiz. Pretty impressive. But no one posted any answers to the blog. So today I'll give a clue. Here, in alphabetical order, are the seven newspaper writers who wrote the seven quotes. All you have to do is match the names to the quotes. Anyone game?

Dave Barry
Erma Bombeck
Lewis Grizzard
Michael Kelly
Will Rogers
Mark Twain
George Will

And here's a new one. What famous newspaper columnist wrote this:
I can modestly say that I've been compared with Hemingway. Well, sort of. Readers sometimes tell me that I'm a real pain in the whatchamacallit.

Movie quote: "Punch the keys, for God's sake!"
Who said it and in what film?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In response to the comparison to Hemingway quote, "whatchamacallit" makes me think of the late, great Chicago newspaper columnist Mike Royko. Here's why. I read a few columns in where Royko used the word (not that held any rights to it) Also, I read a companion book to Studs Turkel's "Working" that referenced the "whatchamacallit society." I know that Royko and Turkel were friends and all three, including Hemingway, grew up in Chicago (not together), so I can see how people might have lumped them into one group since their styles are similar. But I can't cite the source if Royko said it or wrote it.
Why does "whatchamacallit" stick in my head? It was my grandma's favorite expression.

Jim-W said...

Giving a try at the Quiz. 1. Will Rogers;2. Erma Boimbeck;3. Michael Kelly; 4. Lewis Grizzard; 5. Mark Twain; 6. Dave Barry; 7. George Will.