Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Quote quiz

Quotes from famous newspaper writers. How many can you identify?

1. My ancestors didn't come over on the Mayflower, but they met the boat when it landed.

2. I respect history as much as the next person, but to climb eight hundred forty steps to lie on your back and kiss a stone that doesn't kiss you back is not a must-see on my itenerary.

3. Bill Clinton's truth-shading and hairsplitting rhetoric of crafty precision is calculated to produce purrs from the maximum number of factions.

4. If there's one ideal that unites all Americans, it's the belief that every single one of us, regardless of ethnic background, is fat.

5. The devil's aversion to holy water is light compared with a despot's dread of a newspaper that laughs.

6. The only thing that ever got into my typewriter was a large roach, which I promptly typed to an uppercase death with the dollar and ampersand keys.

And the bonus challenge:
7. In a rare moment of irritation with the American Civil Liberties Union, (Sen. Ted Kennedy) once said, "the ACLU thinks that it defines liberalism in this country. I define liberalism in this country." He was exaggerating only a little.

No comments: